Welcome to Spiders Talk!

Welcome to Spiders Talk

Started by Zanetti, May 28, 2022, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanetti

Hi all,

Thanks for joining. Many of you probably remember the old Spiders Talk message board which was around a few years ago, but unfortunately lost due to issues with the server host.

Given the excitement surrounding the club right now, and the fact that I'm personally incapable of following several discussions in a single thread on Pie & Bovril, I decided that now was the time to relaunch a dedicated Queen's Park forum.

The website is primarily designed to be accessed in a desktop browser, but mobile compatibility is relatively smooth barring a few small things such as no display pictures (to save your data).

This is very much a work in progress; I'm hoping I'll be able to add features as time goes on, so your patience is appreciated. If you notice any issues or bugs, drop me a message and I'll look into it.

Cheers!

Gall09

NowJustCamzo

Good bit of a throwback but glad to see it back mate!

Always good to have an alternative to P&B heres hoping it's a success

Bobthespider

CC

GM1867

Good to have it back. Well done, Zanetti!

Spidertastic

Thanks for the revival Zanetti. We live in interesting times.

EaglesAndSpiders

Hello Zanetti and everyone here!

Thank you for this dedicated forum. I hope it's here to stay.

I'm a 43-year-old Besiktas fan, who moved to Glasgow from Istanbul over 7 years ago. I never cared for the sectarian Old Firm nonsense and the two teams involved, so as soon as I arrived, I started looking for a local team to support. It was either going to be Partick Thistle or Queen's Park so purely based on Besiktas & QP having the same colours, I picked QP as my new team in my new home. However, after doing some research & reading into QP and its history, I quickly realised the similarities didn't end with colours!

Although it was founded some 36 years later than QP, Besiktas is the oldest football team in Turkey just like QP is the oldest one in Scotland.

Besiktas's motto is "Serefinle oyna, hakkinla kazan" meaning "Play with honour, deserve to win" echoing the QP motto Ludere Causa Ludendi. And just like QP who preferred to remain amateur for decades, Besiktas always took pride in building squads playing like an amateur college team, playing for the sake of the game.

However, probably the most uncanny similarity is this: In 1952, in a friendly game against Greece, the Turkish national team's starting eleven was entirely made up of Besiktas players. As a result of this historic honour, Besiktas is the only Turkish team that has been granted the honour and privilege of bearing the Turkish flag in their crest. Likewise, in 1872, when Scotland faced England, for the one and only time all eleven Scots players were from Queen's Park. This resulted in QP adopting the black & white hoops still used today and leaving its original blue colours to the Scottish National Team.

I wish the nicknames were similar too. Still, both clubs got their nicknames because of their playing styles. In the olden days Besiktas preferred an attacking style of play down both flanks ("wings" in Turkish") swooping down on their opponents like an eagle spreading its wings, earning them the nickname "Black Eagles". QP also got their nickname from their passing style, as if spinning a web on the pitch: The Spiders.

I feel incredibly lucky to have found a team here in Glasgow, "a second Besiktas", to support and be proud of. I'm over the moon that we will play in the Championship and can't wait to watch the team Owen Coyle and Marijn Beuker are building for next season. I could only go to two matches this season but I was at the Excelsior Stadium for that unforgettable victory against Airdrie.

Apologies for the long post. I hope you like my story and hope to meet you in the stands next season, wherever it may be. I will be the guy who is wearing a QP jersey with a Besiktas scarf around his neck, cursing referees in the beautiful language that is Turkish :)

Gall09

Pass and Move

Zanetti, thanks for re-starting the forum. Been I lifelong supporter and attended regularly until a few years ago but now living in Devon. Been a good season for me Exeter City, my local team promoted and of course my beloved QP now in the Championship and delighted how the season finished because promotion wasn't looking likely! So well done the players in finishing the season so well , interesting season ahead.

BenchWarmer

Top work Zanetti. Excited to have a place to read all the speculation and news over the summer and beyond. Bring it on!

HoustonSpider99

Hi all, excited to see where this goes. We'll take Besiktas as a new sister club, if they fancy sending any of their prospects for some experience it'd come in handy maybe?

EaglesAndSpiders

Quote from: HoustonSpider99 on May 29, 2022, 09:03 PMHi all, excited to see where this goes. We'll take Besiktas as a new sister club, if they fancy sending any of their prospects for some experience it'd come in handy maybe?

I actually did try to make this happen after discovering the similarities I have mentioned. I managed to contact the Media & PR director of Besiktas through a mutual friend and told him that we could have a sister club in Scotland, which shares so many things in common with Besiktas. He was very interested and said he would present this to the board but unfortunately a new board of directors & club president were elected later that year and my contact was no longer part of it.

Fun fact: Wattenscheid is a sister club of QP, right? The current National Teams Director of Turkey is German-Turkish Hamit Altıntop, who rose to fame playing for Schalke, Bayern and Real Madrid before moving to Turkey to play for Galatasaray. Guess where he started playing football: Wattenscheid :)

Ben Reilly

Hi Zanetti, thanks for setting this up.
I pretty much only use my phone for this sort of thing, so hopefully it will work OK.
Nice to have a place for us Spiders fans to discuss things without being bothered by fans of Clyde/Falkirk/Airdrie/everyone else.

Zanetti

Quote from: Ben Reilly on May 30, 2022, 08:53 PMHi Zanetti, thanks for setting this up.
I pretty much only use my phone for this sort of thing, so hopefully it will work OK.
Nice to have a place for us Spiders fans to discuss things without being bothered by fans of Clyde/Falkirk/Airdrie/everyone else.

Functionality on mobile seems to be pretty decent now that I've had the chance to test it more! It maybe doesn't look as nice but hopefully that won't bother too many people.