Welcome to Spiders Talk!

22/23 Transfer Speculation Thread

Started by Dave, May 28, 2022, 02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Reilly

Heard this morning from a pretty reliable source that Liam Brown may be heading to Alloa on loan. A bit surprised by that as I would expect him to be immediate back up for Thomson and Mal.

Zanetti

Quote from: Ben Reilly on Sep 02, 2022, 10:47 AMHeard this morning from a pretty reliable source that Liam Brown may be heading to Alloa on loan. A bit surprised by that as I would expect him to be immediate back up for Thomson and Mal.

Brown is a difficult one to place for me right now. In the previous setup where we had Savoury playing just behind Murray, I saw him as his backup. We've seen before that he can't play out wide though so that's not the case now, and Thomson and Boateng sit a bit deeper than what I think Brown is comfortable with. I'd like to keep him as an option but he might be concerned about his chances of getting a game which is understandable.

Ben Reilly

Quote from: Ben Reilly on Sep 02, 2022, 10:47 AMHeard this morning from a pretty reliable source that Liam Brown may be heading to Alloa on loan. A bit surprised by that as I would expect him to be immediate back up for Thomson and Mal.

Got an update from the same source saying that Brown turned down the loan to Alloa as he wanted to stay and fight for his place with us.
Encouraging to hear he wants to stay, and I hope he can find the right form and get a run in the team.

Stormy67

With the January transfer window coming up soon, where should we strengthen? do we need to?                Am sure that recent performances and publicity about returning to the Southside will have garnered interest from any decent player considering a move in the New Year.

Velvet Donkey

I'm trying to manage my expectations for this season, and telling myself that a place in the top six is realistic and considered success, if we can develop a core team to grow alongside developing youth. As much as promotion this season would be sensational, is it too early, or indeed important at all?

Either way I'd like to see us sort our defensive problems if we do anything in January. Also we've been lucky with no injuries to Ferrie...I just wonder if Heraghty is ready to step in at this level.

I saw other comments on another striker, which would be great, but not essential in my mind.

Ben Reilly

I'm pretty happy with the guys that I would consider our 'first choice starting 11' and while I think we have some good options on the bench, I do worry that we might start to struggle if we get a few injuries and suspensions at the same time.
If we were to loose Ferrie, Fox and/or Kilday, Robson or Murray, i'm not confident we have the same quality in reserve for those positions.
It's difficult, be cause those guys don't deserve to loose their place, but would similar quality players be happy to sign up as backup?

I think other teams in the league will try to strengthen so we might see the likes of Dundee and the Thistles become more consistent in the second half of the season.

It will very interesting to see what coming or goings happen in January with our squad, and it might give a good indication of how seriously we will be having a push for promotion.

Ben Reilly

I'd love us to try and test Ayr's resolve with a big (relatively) offer for Akinyemi, but I can't imagine Ayr would sell to another Championship side, and they may even get offers from the Premiership.
In this fantasy scenario I've created we would surley have to go with two up front regularly as I can't see either him or Murray being left on the bench.

Pass and Move

Certainly would be sensational if we ended up going up, but a long way to go and a January window to come which our lack of strength in depth will come under pressure-unless of course we splash the cash. No idea if big Hampden will be an option if the scenario happens.

GS1867

It's about depth more than anything for me. The actual first 11 is as strong if not the strongest 11 in the championship when on form. We've been fortunate that other than Fox, we've had no real long term injuries to our key players yet. For me, the biggest issue is if Murray and in some ways Thomas are out for any extended period of time. It was noticeable against Cove a few weeks back that we looked a bit toothless without Dom.

Obviously other teams will have the same mindset. I doubt any team would be as strong without their key players but I just think the drop off in quality in key areas of the pitch if we were to get an injury would get exposed quite badly

Matt1867

Yeah, I agree with most people that the biggest thing is depth. To win the championship, you need a big squad and, although I love our starting 11 and most of the bench, we do need some extra bodies in there.

Stormy67

The winter transfer window is a strange one with many theories on how best to approach it and its effectiveness.
We do not have any long-term injuries so need to panic buy a replacement. We are not in a relegation dogfight so no need to panic buy our way out of trouble. Our one signing is with an eye to the future and we did the same last year with Scott Williamson. So, I can't see us do anything different this time around.
It may be that we see one or two leave.

Wee Willie Winkie

There was a bit of chat that Josh McPake's loan spell was going to end and he was being transferred to (?) Northampton. Great to see him starting yesterday then. He has a gallusness about him and is a vital cog in the machine. Hopefully we have him until the end of the season. At least.

Ben Reilly

Quote from: Wee Willie Winkie on Jan 03, 2023, 07:50 PMThere was a bit of chat that Josh McPake's loan spell was going to end and he was being transferred to (?) Northampton. Great to see him starting yesterday then. He has a gallusness about him and is a vital cog in the machine. Hopefully we have him until the end of the season. At least.
I noticed a couple of guys leaving the game early that may have been from Rangers. At least one had a Castore jacket and one definitely had a notepad with the Rangers badge on it.
I fully admit that's not much to go on, but my guess was that they were there to watch McPake. Hopefully not with a view to re-calling him (to keep or sell)