Welcome to Spiders Talk!

Queen’s v Ayr - 05/08/22

Started by Calum, Aug 03, 2022, 10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calum

Thoughts on this one? Any kind of win would obviously be great - I think if we have as good a first half as we did vs Inverness we should do well.

I think I'd like to see Jarrett on from the start here and hopefully we play McPake from the beginning again too.

Pass and Move

A win 1-0 or 2-1 would be good start.

Wee Willie Winkie

Other than miss decent chances, we didn't do too much wrong against ICT. OC has mentioned knocks re the players who went off. If they're all fit, I'd be tempted to go with the same team.

My heart says start with Murray and Williamson, but who would you drop?

Arachnophile

Deserved win for Ayr. Only positives were: we played very well in the first half (again) and it's only £3.20 for a pint in the wee bar at Ochilview.

Spidertastic

Reality check for all concerned. Absolutely outfought by a stronger team in that second half. We were hounded all over the park. However there was a kind of mad brilliance in the number of ways we found to give the ball to Ayr even when there was no pressure.

GS1867

I hate football

That was easily one of the most gutless 2nd half performances I've seen in a long time and there were certainly a few of them last season

Ayr utterly bullied us in every aspect 2nd half and the big striker was outstanding for them. Such a shame as the 1st half, there was only looking like one winner. Thomas particularly really looked the part. Unfortunately the defence was rotten and the warning signs of conceding soft goals was shown up big time tonight. A reality check that this is going to be a challenging season. Callum ferrie also made some great saves

We're easy on the eye when things are going well but we really do lack some genuine experience in the middle of the park. The loss of control in the midfield was astonishing. Would still of kept Daren Lyon for this team

Not reading pie and bovril for a week after that

EaglesAndSpiders

I fuckin hate being on the losing side of comebacks. What the fuck happened in that second half?

Calum

Grim, hoped I'd feel less annoyed this morning but not the case. Hopeless second half and the sort of mental collapse you fear could set us off down a similar path as last season, throwing away games/points from winning positions.

First big challenge for Coyle, will be crucial to see how he picks the team up for more tough games in the weeks ahead.

Mcjameos

I thought these types of games were a thing of the past. Fearful for the next 2 games and where they could leave us

DJM1867

Fair play to Ayr who had sat off us and let us play in the first half. They got stuck in about us and we basically got sucked into a battle. Lumping the ball up the park hoping Murray would do something and completely bypassing the midfield.

We have good footballers but I really think we are very lightweight and definitely need some physical presence in the middle of the park.

Bullied in the second half.

southsidespider

talk about a game of 2 halves.  first half we played alot of good stuff but that stopped as soon as second half started.  Defensively we were shocking. Need to get used to this direct style of football .

Game highlighted the need for some experience in middle of the park to sit alongside the young guys like Savoury.

Keep the faith and lets see what  happens.  Mr Coyle needs to get this sorted.

Ben Reilly

Such a frustrating evening. I thought in the first half, despite a few shakey moments at the back, that we looked really good.
It looked as though we may have tweaked the shape a wee bit, and rather than having two deep midfielders we just had Bannon in that role with Brown a bit further forward. Bannon was playing well and looked quite composed, and we get more out of Brown when he's further forward.
2nd half was a disaster. There's no doubt that we weren't prepared for Ayr coming flying out the traps, and their early goal then put us on the backfoot and gave them a massive lift.
I can't understand the change in shape and personnel at all. Kilday was all over the place and needed to come off, but to go three at the back with Eze who I think only trained the squad that morning, and Naismith who's barely played so far, was a big gamble that didn't pay off. As far as I know we haven't played with 3 centre halfs at all in the previous games this season. Both Fox and Davidson looked like they weren't sure where to be in that formation.
The change also sacrificed Bannon who was playing well and moved Brown back to a weaker position and left us with nothing in midfield. Jarret improved things slightly when he came on but there were so many gaps in midfield and no outball other than a big punt up to a tiring Murray and Savoury.
Hopefully there's some lessons learned from that and Coyle can lift us again for Saturday.

Ben Reilly

One other thought that crossed my mind during the game was whether Coyle plans to play with 3 centre half's more often this season, and was just waiting for Eze to arrive before implementing it. I suppose we'll find out soon enough, but personally I'd stick with the shape we had in the first half.

Zanetti

Quote from: Ben Reilly on Today at 11:31 AMOne other thought that crossed my mind during the game was whether Coyle plans to play with 3 centre half's more often this season, and was just waiting for Eze to arrive before implementing it. I suppose we'll find out soon enough, but personally I'd stick with the shape we had in the first half.

I suggested this before the game and I think it's a real possibility, with Robson and Davidson/Naismith playing in that wingback role (not sure Naismith has the pace for it right enough?) and linking up even more with Thomson and McPake. I don't know how I feel about this, I think the shape we've seen this season has been fine when we're not utterly collapsing like that second half the other night.